My Secrets to Getting Up Early and Working Out.
It’s hard to wake up early, especially when it’s to work out. But if you’re like me, morning workouts make the most sense. You’re up before everyone else, which means no interruptions, and if I have to wait until after work to get my exercise in, I know it just won’t happen. So here are my 10 secrets for waking up early to get my sweat on.
- Early to bed, early to rise. This one’s pretty simple. Getting up early isn’t likely to happen if you went to bed 5 minutes ago. Give yourself at least 7 hours of sleep.
- Make yourself sleepy. Have trouble falling asleep? Try limiting caffeine intake during the day, and don’t consume anything with caffeine after 4 p.m. Try a warm bath, a cup of tea, and a regular exercise routine (but don’t work out too late in the day). Also, avoid TV and computer use at least an hour before you want to go to sleep, otherwise your brain could be too overstimulated to sleep.
- Get motivated. Thinking about how great you’ll feel after a workout doesn’t always work to get you out of bed. Most people need something tangible to get them motivated. How about thinking about the that sexy guy or gal you’re going to see at the gym, or the new breakfast meal you’re going to try post-workout. How about the new sneakers you’re going to put on or the new playlist you’re going to jam to. As long as it’s something real you can look forward to quickly after picking your head off your pillow, you’ll be good to go.
- Make yourself accountable. You’re much more likely to get up if someone is waiting on you. So hire a personal trainer, enroll in a morning spin class, or have a friend meet you at the gym. It’s easier to reconcile with letting yourself down than it is to lose money on a class or quit on a friend.
- Incentivize yourself. Reward yourself every day after a workout or at the end of a full week of workouts. A new fitness top, great food, or a new movie you want to see. Results come slow, but instant gratification is a heck of a motivator for getting out of bed.