Tips to Prevent Back Pain
In honor of National Chiropractic Health Month we will be providing various facts about chiropractic and spinal health. National Chiropractic Month is headed up by The American Chiropractic Association. They say, "Some back pain is caused by non-preventable factors (traumatic accidents, congenital defects, tumors), but the majority of low back pain is preventable." Here are some suggestions for prevention:
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your workstation is ergonomically correct.
If you are experience prolonged back or neck pain please contact your local HealthSource Office: (888) 977-6734.