OUCH! This pain is more than just Back Pain!
Education is key, so this week we will be talking about Disc Bulge and Herniation. Bulging or herniated discs can appear in the Neck, Low Back, Middle & Upper Back. Located between the vertebrae of your spine are 23 discs, which act as a spacer and shock absorber. These discs have soft, gel-like centers surrounded by layers of fibrous tissues. Sometimes, due to an injury or just aging, the material in the middle of the disc pushes to one side or even ruptures. This is called a bulging or herniated disc and you might be familiar with the discomfort that is associated with it.
Looking for help?
The following strategies may help you reduce your chance of having a herniated disk:
- Chiropractic Adjustments.
- Practice good posture: standing and sitting straight, keeping your back straight when lifting.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Exercise regularly.
- Ask your chiropractor about exercises to strengthen your back and stomach.
- Steer away from wear high-heeled shoes.
- If you sit, get out of your chair every 20 to 25 minutes and walk for several minutes.
What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic care works on correcting misaligned or out-of-place vertebrae and can remove the pressure placed on the nerve endings that line the surface of the joint and course through the space between the joints, reducing pain and improving flexibility and function. Find a HealthSource location before you feel worse tomorrow.